Thursday 9 June 2011

The moral of the story

Off to work for a busy 4hr's of meetings yesterday I umm'd and ahh'd about whether to take my knitting bag with me. "I won't have any time" said the rational part of my brain". "Take it anyway, said my inner Knitter". And boy, am I glad I did.

5 hours spent sat on the A120 behind a jacknifed lorry!

I must have been the calmest person on that piece of road. I had food (my packed lunch) and water - although I shared some with the family behind me who had two small children. I had coffee and most importantly, my knitting. I started out working on a dishcloth but when it became apparent that we were in for the long haul, I cracked out my Whipporwill Shawl that I am making in the beautiful Manos Serena.

I knit away to my hearts content and got well over 20 rows done (and at 300-plus stitches, these are not short rows), safe in the knowledge that all I was missing was some boring meetings and being profundly grateful that I hadn't joined the road 30 seconds earlier and had avoided being caught up in the whole awful mess.

The downside - toilet arrangements. How does a lady relieve herself when all that is at the side of the road is a bare field and an army off truckers watching on? Not a tree in site. I'll spare you the details.

But the moral of the story is to always take your knitting, and buy a She-wee.

2 comments:

  1. Always listen to you inner knitter voice. You know she makes sense. I always take some kntting or crochet if I'm going on a journey. You never know when you're going to be delayed.

    As for the She-wee what a brilliant idea. I'd never heard of that before. I must lead a very sheltered life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I packed a little emergency kit today for the car just in case I'm ever stuck again, particularly if I had my boys with me. A few bottles of water, some dried fruit and snacks, some Haribo sweeties to cheer people up, and a ball of sock yarn with spare needles ! The she-wee is on order :)

    ReplyDelete