Monday 10 December 2012

Normal service is resumed

A bit of knitting to share with you today - the crochet blocks being on the back burner for the time being.

With Christmas rapidly approaching and no sign of the missing yarn I have on order to finish mum's sweater I decided that a Plan B might be a good idea in case it doesn't turn up in time. I have no desire to be blocking the thing with a hairdryer on Christmas Eve, and I can always re-purpose it as a Mothers Day gift later.

Sometimes you see a pattern that you want to cast on immediately and this one did it for me. The Crosswords at the Coffee Shop Shawlette was designed by the very talented Karrie of the KnitPurlGurl podcast who tragically passed away very recently. A KAL was being held in her honour over on Ravelry and it seemed like the ideal way to join in the celebration of her life, as well as mourn her passing.


IMAG0751

Using just 1.5 skeins of Cascade 220, this little shawl/shawlette knit up in a few evenings and it is perfect for my petite mum. Large shawls and scarves can swamp her but this is perfect to just drape across her shoulders or to wrap once around her neck for a cosy scarf.

I haven't knit much lace with heavier weight yarns before this, but I can certainly see the attraction. A very quick and satisfying knit - so much so that I'm tempted to make one for myself. Next time around I might just start off with a few rows of garter stitch to prevent the predictable curling that occurs at the bottom of the lace section, but otherwise, this is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment